Thursday 27 October 2011

Drunk Knitting

A few weeks ago I had the good fortune to attend the annual knitting retreat hosted by my favourite LYS (local yarn store), Wolseley Wool.  It was my first time going, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I ended up having a really great time.  A recap of the classes I took and the things I learned is coming in a future post but I have to finish up some things first!  Anyway, the retreat was everything I hoped for and more.  There were lots of good classes, lots of knitting, and lots of... well... adult beverages.  You might think that drinking and knitting don't go together but once you get to know knitters you may be surprised.  I had heard that people brought alcohol with them to the retreat, but I don't know if I was expecting the amount of alcohol that was there.  I had brought a reasonable amount in my own suitcase due to The Enabler's encouragement (always be prepared!) but I was somewhat embarrassed by it.  I had a six-pack of Rock Creek Dry Cider, and a 26 of... wait for it...

CAKE FLAVOURED VODKA.

All the punch of vodka with all the deliciousness of cake.  I mixed it with coke zero and from the first sip, I was sold.  I had bought it on a whim, it was the first thing I saw when walking into the liquor store and it felt like it was meant to be.  I think this will become a staple in my liquor cabinet from now on.

So, giddy on cake and knitting and the company of other knitters, I gleefully drank my cake and knitted too.  We drank and knitted until the wee hours, and the combination of these factors led to the birth of...

The Knitting Drinking Game

Rules:
1. Take a drink when you drop a stitch.
2. Take a drink when you have to tink.
3. Take a drink when you finish a row (or round, don't think you sock knitters can get off so easily)
4. Chug the rest of your drink when you have to frog the whole thing.  Make sure to do this before you frog, it'll help give you strength for the task ahead.

Those are all the rules I remember, there may have been more.  However, a good drinking game doesn't have so many rules that you can't remember them all when *ahem* non-sober.

Happy drunk knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment