Monday 30 January 2012

Sock it to me

After a couple of weeks now of mostly posting on weekends I realized why it is that I've mostly been blogging on weekends lately.  It's not because I have more time on the weekends, I generally have a similar amount of free time that could be used for blogging on weekdays as I do on the weekends.  It's also not because I knit more on the weekends and therefore have more to post about.  Again, I usually knit for at least a couple of hours every day.  No, it's because of how short the daylight hours are right now.  Usually when I decide to prepare a post, it involves gathering the projects in process, taking pictures, uploading the pictures, editing them, and then writing the post all in one session.  On weekdays after I get home from work I have about 7.4 nanoseconds of decent daylight to take pictures before there is no place in my house that gets enough natural light to take good pictures.  I don't have any good artificial light, and I hate using flash for knitting because it makes the stitches disappear.  So long story short, I don't usually plan ahead enough to take all the pictures that I need on the weekend to fill up blog posts for the whole week.  I could just write for the sake of writing but I feel like my writing isn't interesting enough by itself, and I would have to throw in some random pictures from my computer just to keep y'all awake.

Like this:



What is it?  If you have a guess as to what it is, leave me a comment.  I may or may not have a prize for the winning commenter (I don't have a prize but please don't let that discourage you from guessing anyway.)  The answer will be in my next post.

Ok I promise this blog isn't going to turn into some weird random pictures thing.  All that pre-amble was mostly to say that this last weekend I actually managed to take more pictures than I planned on using, and I also remembered about some older pictures that I had meant to use but hadn't yet.  Yay!

One of the gifts the Enabler got me for Christmas was a 3 month subscription to the Sweet Georgia yarns sock yarn club.  At first I was sorta excited and then once I realized that it meant surprise yarn in the mail for 3 months straight I got really excited.  And then my January yarn came a couple of weeks ago and I went from really excited to "holycrapholycrapholycrap" excited.  This is January's yarn:


It's called "storm chaser" and it's a superwash sock yarn made with bluefaced leicester wool.  The colourway was inspired by the Vancouver winter where it's rainy and cloudy all the time.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet.  It's one of those yarns that I don't mind holding onto for some time while I wait for the perfect pattern to present itself.  It'll come eventually, I know it will.  Only a couple more weeks until February's yarn!

After I found out that I was getting sweet georgia yarn in the mail, but before I had actually received it, I got so excited about the yarn that I went to my LYS and got a different skein of sweet georgia yarn.  Let me justify myself by saying that it was on sale and I had a gift card and the colour was too gorgeous to leave behind and there was only one of them so obviously I HAD to buy it.  Is that enough justification?


I wasn't able to accurately capture the colour of this one but it's the tough love sock in the colourway tourmaline.  It's a much richer and deeper blue-green than how it looks in the picture, and it's gorgeous.  I wound it up today and cast on for the Snicket Socks.  I haven't made socks in awhile and although Winter hasn't really shown us more than a flash of its teeth yet, I want to make sure that I've got some nice warm socks to wear when it bears down on us for real.  You may think I'm being pessimistic, but I prefer to think of it as realistic.  And even if it doesn't get colder... well... y'know...  socks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment