Saturday 1 September 2012

Sweaterday

I should probably change the name of my blog to "Infrequent Confessions of a Lazy Wooloholic" since I've been such a terrible blogger lately.  It was summer though.  I'm allowed to slack off in summer, right?  Now that it's September it's time to knuckle down and hit the books, metaphorically speaking.  September hasn't felt much different than August to me for awhile now.  The only difference is that work gets busier, people come back from their holidays, and I can smell sweater weather coming just around the corner.

I'll be honest with you, I like summer, but frankly I'm pretty tired of it.  I like hot weather, but the heat is so much more enjoyable when there's a cooler stretch here and there to break it up.  I love wearing sun dresses, but I also love wearing jeans and a sweater.  The two days during the last few months when it was actually cool enough to wear jeans and a sweater, I was relieved to be able to cover up a bit, however briefly.

I started getting excited for sweater weather a month ago already, and to indulge this excitement, when friends of ours had a baby boy at the end of July I decided the perfect present would be a tiny sweater.  I'd never made a tiny sweater before but I think they're just adorable.  After gushing over dozens of patterns on ravelry I settled on Little Coffee Bean, which is a free pattern and basically the cutest little sweater ever.  I didn't know right away what colours I wanted to make it, but I knew I wanted to do something other than blue, since I don't think that every little boy needs to wear blue.  I even toyed with the idea of pink and blue stripes just to confuse people.  The yarn called for in the pattern is Berroco Vintage, and my LYS is totally stocked with that kind of yarn so I knew having good colour options wouldn't be an issue.

By the time I got around to buying yarn for it, the baby shower was a week away.  I didn't really think I needed to have it done in time for the shower, but the colours were so great that I wound the yarn and cast on almost as soon as I got home from the yarn store.  It knit up pretty quickly and two evenings later I had made some good progress.


I knit it during my lunches, on the bus rides home from work, and a bit in the evenings, and I managed to finish everything but sewing on the buttons with three days to spare.


I didn't think it was possible for anything to be cuter than this sweater.  That is, until I added the buttons.



Totes adorbs.  The worst part of it is was having to give it away.  I am hoping to get a picture of the baby wearing the sweater, as that may help to ease the pain of separation I am still experiencing, but unfortunately the sweater isn't going to fit him for a few months yet.  Why can't babies grow faster?

Then I reminded myself that the Enabler continues to very much live up to his nickname, as he went to Seattle on business and came back with this for me for my birthday (amongst other things but this is all I took a picture of).


That's two skeins of tosh merino light in the steam age colourway.  They are well on their way to becoming a clapotis for me.  Well you didn't think that I was going to make one for my mom, and then not make one for myself, did you?  I'm hoping to have it finished before the cooler weather starts in earnest.  I'll be honest, I like fall and winter more since I became a more avid (obsessive) knitter.  A hand knitted scarf/hat/pair of mittens really helps take the edge off.

Spinning is going pretty well, and I'm getting better at hand-carding fleece into rolags.  They're kinda fun to make, and Olivia likes them too.


Really though, they're going to have cat hair in them anyway, might as well embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment